Following your implant surgery, you must take special care of the area surrounding the surgical site. Your new implant will be integrating with your bone and tissues for the first month, making your home care routines slightly more involved.
Do not disturb the wound in the initial days following your surgery. Avoid rinsing, spitting, and touching the mouth for 24 hours after your procedure.
We recommend that you follow all instructions provided as closely as possible to ensure a smooth recovery and a successful treatment.
- Take all antibiotics as directed.
- After the first 24 hours, use a prescribed oral rinse twice daily, along with a warm saltwater rinse (performed after every meal or snack, or 4-5 times each day)
- Blood in the saliva is common the first 24 hours after your procedure. You can control and lessen blood flow by gently biting on gauze pads and maintaining constant pressure.
- Begin taking pain medication before the anesthetic from your procedure wears off. This will help you control the pain. Any over-the-counter medication will be enough to effectively manage your pain.
- Maintain an initial diet of soft foods. You may resume your regular diet as soon as you feel up to doing so.
- Stay hydrated.
- Keep the surgical site clean by brushing your teeth as normal. Avoid any sutures, and do not brush the implant itself. Antibiotics and saltwater rinses will disinfect your implant.
- Swelling is expected following your surgery. You can minimize swelling by keeping your head elevated and lowering your activity level. Use ice packs for the first 48 hours, applied at 20 minute intervals.
- Do not wear a night guard, dentures, flippers, or retainers for at least 10 days following surgery.
- Do not smoke for at last 2 weeks after dental implant surgery. Tobacco use increases your risk of infection and can cause your implants to fail to integrate with your bone and other tissues.
If you have any questions about these instructions, please contact Wasatch Gentle Dental at 801-262-6661 to speak with Dr. Andrew Smith or a member of our team in Murray, Utah.